Thursday, September 26, 2019

Fight Song

Fight Song
And all those things I didn't say
Wrecking balls inside my brain
I will scream them loud tonight
Can you hear my voice this time?
Strong definition: adjective,
1. having the power to move heavy weights or perform other physically demanding tasks.
2. possessing skills and qualities that create a likelihood of success
3. very intense.

Weak definition: adjective, 
1. lacking the power to perform physically demanding tasks; lacking physical strength and energy.
2. liable to break or give way under pressure; easily damaged. 

In 2007 the matriarch of our family was diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. My grandmother, Bea had medical issues that were already debilitating to her health and receiving a cancer diagnosis on top of her ailments was a blow that we were not prepared to handle as a family.

It is a period of time that is marked with sadness, doctor visits and worry. Sleepless nights of anxiety, tears behind closed doors and agitations flew among my family. It was incredibly stressful. We all tried to appear STRONG in front of my grandmother, but the toll of the diagnosis was felt by everyone who helped provide care, love and support for her.

I witnessed the most influential women in my family undergo medical treatments that left her weak but in reality she was doing something so incredibly strong. She was fighting for her life. During this period of time I moved into her home to help provide care for her. That was a promise I made to her as a child, because she took care of me, during my formative years. In the eyes of a child, she was my Mother. We had a very special bond that I've never been able to duplicate with anyone else.

I suppose that's why I do the little things I do to support Second Life and RFL or events that support cancer research and awareness. My life has been impacted negatively by cancer which is why I choose to support events like the one I'm blogging next month. I've spoken in the past about how meaningful and important our, "little" world is in the fight against Cancer, so discussing this topic is something I'm comfortable expressing. (I'm attaching my posts below, in case you want to read a little more.)

Outshop Cancer, Blogger


Making Strides Against Breast Cancer: The American Cancer Society's Out Shop Cancer in Second Life, is an event marked to help support Breast Cancer Awareness. The intention of the event is to help raise awareness of Breast Cancer, promote early detection and raise lindens or monetary cash for a worthy cause.

This year, I'm proudly providing my support by blogging the event. During the month of October from October 1-31st, Making Strides will showcase an event for a grid wide shopping event! How cool is that?! What does that really mean? Well....it means that rather than visiting one dedicated Sim there will be multiple stores who have dedicated a portion of their store solely for the American Cancer Society. Thank you to the designers who are participating in this event.   

I plan on highlighting as many goodies as I can during the month of October. For me, this subject is VERY personal. Cancer and early detection is something I feel so strongly about. I feel its something that needs to be dealt with in PRIVATE, with the support of family and friends. (if you're lucky enough to have them.) It's scary to be staring cancer in the face. It's a FIGHT that you can't escape and ultimately one you have to fight alone. I continue to fight in my own way every time I see a RFL kiosk and toss lindens or support a designer who has proceeds who benefit the American Cancer Society, or even when I attend an event where a musician has donated their time to support this cause.

I fight because I care. I fight because this is my life and I can.

Be on the lookout for some upcoming posts about this event. There are so many goodies I'm unboxing. I can't wait to share them with you. For today's post I'm showing off a sweatshirt from Sparkettes, Fighter Sweatshirt. There are 4 support cancer fighting messages you can choose to wear. I'm wearing my favorite out of the bunch,  "I will fight till there is a cure." You can pick up your very own sweatshirt starting October 1, 2019.

For more information on Making Strides please see the links below:
Making Strides Second Life, Main Site
Making Strides, Out Shop Cancer Event
Making Strides Second Life, Facebook Page
Making Strides, Blogger Roll Call

Bells' Previous Blog Posts about Cancer, RFL and Awareness
2007-Over My Head
2008-Stand By Me
2011, A time to Remember
2012, Wear Grey for a day
2015, Stand a Survivor Exhibit

The Look- Fight Song
Musical Inspiration: Fight Song
Hair- Stealthic - Sultry -Misc- Collab88 (September)
***Shirt- Sparkettes - Fitmesh Fighter Sweatshirt (Available 10/01-10/31 2019)  
Necklace-Yummy- Boxing Gloves Charm - Silver
Glasses- Mon Tissu- Favorite Readers ~ Black

***EVENT GOODIES, Exclusive to Out Shop Cancer 2019, Available 10/01/2019

No comments: