Sunday, November 8, 2020

Kick Out The Jams

Kick Out The Jams
I've been elected to rock your asses til midnight
This is my term, and I've jammed out my perm, but it's all right
I solemnly swear to uphold the Constitution
Got a rock and roll problem?
Well we got the solution
Kick Out the Jams- Presidents of The United States of America

Voted, Counted, Win! YAY!

So Yes, I did vote for Biden/Harris and I am ecstatic and hopeful and optimistic that our country can fix itself. I feel a little more secure. Over the last four years, I can't begin tell you how much of a nightmare its been living under Trump's Presidency.  So much of my 90s and 00s core values were shattered. We were supposed to be the generation that didn't see color, gender or sexuality. My pop culture's influence allowed me to grow as someone that was inclusive of everyone. What I grew up with was supposed to be the norm  progressive in our values to include interracial relationships, people coming out at young age and most importantly Girl Power. Women as equal as men in education and status. Advanced medical, technology and science were scheduled to be the best in the world. We were supposed to be leaders in the world stage: heros and rational thoughts in times of distress.

I thought we were so beyond a lot of things that transpired during the last four years. I never thought that we would have civil rights impacted negatively, Women's rights challenged to the point where Roe vs Wade was even considered to be threatened.  So many things that happened; (and there are far too many to count.) made me feel like an outsider in my own country. I have been fearful living in my own home and it was a direct influence of our soon to be ex leader's influence. 

Influence is a powerful and dangerous thing to have. We give so many people who have little substance influence in our lives. We pick up phrases or friends say. We incorporate personality quirks of TV stars and most importantly we look to our leaders to signal what is acceptable behavior. I think America got carried away with the excitement and mindset of ME above all else that these negative heard mentality ideas arose. 

America became crass, rude and a direct reflection of the mindset of the ignorant, prideful, selfish people that were in charge. I became embarrassed, scared and angry of our country's voice and image that was being displayed on a world format. I lost hope and faith in my fellow Americans. I cried at the hatred I saw and heard in speeches, in news clips. I have been harassed in my line of work by people who were supporters. Older people, who I couldn't believe would even speak this way. 

It was a shock, it was a wake-up call that we needed to change our core values as a country. I may never feel 100% at ease again. What this presidency did bring up was the residual feelings that were in the process of being removed from our society. New generations of our young people have now been introduced to ideas that were not spoken about in polite society and were on the way of becoming extinct. 

The worst thing you can give someone is an idea, a thought or a mental image because once you do that images becomes something that cannot be given back or erase. You can't return influence, so choose wisely on who you allow and what you allow into your life.

I know I want to help change our country. I want to help make boundaries between what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. I want to help in some way so we never have to dive back into the America we saw. I'm openly looking for way to help change, I won't be content until I find my place to give back.

The Look- Kick Out the James

Musical Inspiration: Kick Out the Jams

  • Hair-Lamb-Garden
  • Shirt-Election 2020 T-Shirt-Maitreya
  • Skirt--Tres Blah- Luxy Leather Skirt (Maitreya)

No comments: